Dean’s Update 3/2/21
UGA has announced Commencement ceremonies for its spring 2021 graduates, inviting them to join together and celebrate their accomplishments inside Sanford Stadium–provided these gatherings are declared safe by state and local health officials, university President Jere W. Morehead announced last week.
Mark your calendar these two dates as they pertain to FACS undergraduate and graduate ceremonies.
· The spring 2021 graduate Commencement ceremony for master’s, specialists and doctoral degree candidates has been scheduled for Friday, May 14, 2021, at 10 a.m. in Sanford Stadium.
· Saturday, May 15, 7:30 pm in Sanford Stadium: College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, College of Engineering, College of Family and Consumer Sciences, College of Public Health, Early College of Education, Odum School of Ecology, School of Public and International Affairs, Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
Watch for further details in UGA and FACS web sites.
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH – PICTURE A SCIENTIST MOVIE SCREENING
In honor of March, Women’s History Month, UGA and sponsoring schools and colleges are offering a feature-length film chronicling the groundswell of women scientists. The website and move trailer can be found at www.pictureascientist.com/
Register in advance here for free viewing online from March 4 – 6.
A panel discussion will follow in April, TBA.
FHCE DEPT. HEAD SEARCH
With the support of the UGA Search Group, the search for the next department head of Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics will begin later this semester with a target hire date of January 1st. The committee is chaired by Lynn Bailey, department head of Foods and Nutrition. In addition to Dr. Bailey, members of the search committee are:
· Sophia Anong, Associate Professor
· Patryk Babiarz, Associate Professor
· Andy Carswell, Professor
· Jermaine Durham, Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist
· Michael Gawrys, Graduate Student
· Rob Hoyt, Dept. Head, Risk Management & Insurance, Terry College of Business
· Melissa McBride, Administrative Assistant
· Lance Palmer, Professor
· Dee Warmath, Assistant Professor
A position description has been developed to support the “soon to be open” position announcement to aid recruitment beginning in mid-March.
COLLEGE DEAN SEARCH
A 14-member search committee chaired by Kelly M. Smith, Dean of the College of Pharmacy, has been appointed to conduct a national search for the next Dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. Assisted by the UGA Search Group, the search will begin in early May, with candidate recruitment occurring over the summer. Faculty, staff, students, or community members who wish to nominate candidates for consideration are invited to contact Michael Luthi, director of the UGA Search Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to Dean Smith, the search committee members are:
- Diane Bales, Associate Professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Science and Extension Human Development Specialist
- Gajanan Bhat, Georgia Athletic Association Professor of Fibers and Textiles and Head, Department of Textiles, Merchandising, and Interiors
- Margaret Caughy, Georgia Athletic Association Professor in Family Health Disparities, Department of Human Development and Family Science
- Jamie Cooper, William P. “Bill” Flatt Professor, Department of Foods and Nutrition, and Director, UGA Obesity Initiative
- Michael Curtis, Doctoral Student, Department of Human Development and Family Science
- John Grable, Athletic Association Professor in Family and Consumer Sciences, Department of Financial Planning, Housing, and Consumer Economics
- Kenneth Ivory, President, FACS Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Jung Sun Lee, UGA Athletic Association Professor in Family and Consumer Sciences, Department of Foods and Nutrition
- Cal Powell, Director of Communications, FACS
- Lauren Rogers, FACS Student Leadership Advisory Council Member, Nutritional Sciences Major
- Yoo-Kyoung Seock, Professor, Department of Textiles, Merchandising, and Interiors
- Cara Winston Simmons, Director, FACS Student Success and Advising Center
- Michael Gene Thomas, Lecturer, Department of Financial Planning, Housing, and Consumer Economics
SCHEDULE (Dean’s travel and purpose during the next few weeks):
· No travel planned.
· The next Dean’s Update will be the week of March 15, or earlier.
Linda Kirk Fox