FACS Connection - April 2, 2021
A weekly digest of news, events, and opportunities for all undergraduate FACS students.
Friday, April 2, 2021
- Dawg Check
- UGA Student Alumni Association – 100 Days Special Event
- Student Success and Advising Center – Internship Opportunity
- Senior Signature – Deadline Approaching
- Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program – Apply Today
- UGA Cortona Study Abroad
- UGA Extension: COVID-19 Resources
- FACS Pick of the Week
- New Minor in Law, Jurisprudence, and the State
- Archside Chat – Life After College
1. Dawg Check
The University of Georgia is committed to a safe environment for its faculty, students, and staff. As a part of our commitment, we ask that you use DawgCheck to:
- Check your current health condition and report exposure daily using this link!
- Should you test positively for Covid-19, you are required to report the test results here.
- You will receive these prompts via email. You may enroll in text/SMS messages for these alerts by registering here.
- If you have questions or require more information, please visit dawgcheck.uga.edu.
Hey Seniors! Want to end this semester down memory lane and end with a BANG?! The Student Alumni Council has been hosting the annual 100 Days ‘til Graduation event and wants you to join! Celebrate the last 100 days of school with a giveaway/scavenger hunt of our favorite UGA and Athens traditions and bucket list activities!
Each week during the scavenger hunt we will give away a UGA graduation basket (worth a value of $400!!) with grad essentials such as a diploma frame and UGA alumni accessories. Clink the link below to participate and your chance to win! Do not miss your chance to win an amazing prize and celebrate all your Georgia Bulldog memories! Go Dawgs!
Link to Giveaway Details: https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bPJqgwMF8mI6iCF
The Student Success and Advising Center is seeking interns for this summer and the fall. If you're looking to gain experience in the areas of Business, Higher Education, Student Affairs, Recruitment, and Project Management, this internship is for you! It is also eligible as an Experiential Learning opportunity!
Click the link to learn more and apply. https://www.fcs.uga.edu/ssac/ssac-internship
Attention Seniors! The deadline to give to Senior Signature is Monday, April 5th! Leave your legacy at UGA with a $30 gift to one of over 1,000 available funds and scholarships. Donors are recognized with their names on the class plaques at Tate Plaza. You don’t want to miss out on this opportunity!
Apply to the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program!
Are you interested, but have questions? Wondering how this applies to your major or degree program? Join an upcoming virtual info session! A former Legislative Aide will attend to answer your questions. Check out former Aide experiences here.
- Tuesday, April 6th from 5:30-6:00 p.m.
Register for the information session here. Registrations must be received at least one hour prior to the scheduled meeting time.
The program is a full-time spring semester fellowship experience in Atlanta at the Capitol. Fellows are paired with a local Athens area legislator. The program is experiential learning approved, comes with a $4,000 stipend, and integrates career and leadership development. We are accepting applications for 2022, 2023, and 2024. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program website to learn more.
The University of Georgia's oldest study abroad program has been operating in the medieval Tuscan hill town of Cortona, Italy for more than 50 years. UGA Cortona offers an extensive list of studio art and art history courses, as well as classes in Italian, English, Women's Studies, Science, Business, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, Graphic Design, and Agriculture. Earn UGA credit while living in Tuscany and traveling with the program to Italian cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Naples, Orvieto, Assisi, and many more!
UGA Extension has compiled a list of helpful resources related to the COVID-19 vaccine. To get the latest information, visit extension.uga.edu/emergencies.
Get the Finals Scoop!
The FACS Alumni Association and the Student Success and Advising Center are hosting the Lil’ Ice Cream Dude at Dawson Hall in April. Take a break from studying and treat yourself to a free ice cream! Registration is required to receive a free ice cream. Register here: [bit.ly/FACSFreeTreat]
Date: Wednesday, April 21st
Time: 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Location: Behind Dawson Hall
We are hosting a panel for students to speak to alumni about preparing for life after college! The panel will focus on discussion topics such as what activities you can get involved in to help boost your resume, tips on searching for a job during economic downturn, and how to prepare for your first job. Register today by filling out the link here!
We will have three FACS alumni featured on our panel:
- Latrice Lyle is a FACS alumni with a degree in in Family Financial Planning and is the founder of EdQuity consulting
- Blake Williams is a FACS alumni with a degree in Financial Planning and is currently a Partner at SignatureFD, LLC and a co-Founder of SignatureFD LLC’s specialized SignatureEXEC practice.
- Geoff Bell is a FACS alumni with a degree in Consumer Economics and is currently a testing and experimentation analyst for Lowe's companies, Inc. for their digital ecommerce team.
New to FACS? View the FACS Connection Archives for past newsletters!
Items for FACS Connection should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Instructions on formatting a FACS Connection entry can be found here.