FACS Connection - January 19, 2021
A weekly digest of news, events, and opportunities for all undergraduate FACS students.
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
- Dawg Check
- FACS Student Organization Bingo & Info Session
- Aurora at UGA
- FACS Pick of the Week
- UGA Cortona Study Abroad
- Experiential Learning Scholarship Opportunity
- 21st Annual Mary Frances Early Lecture
- FACS Scholarship Opportunities
1. Dawg Check
The University of Georgia is committed to a safe environment for its faculty, students, and staff. As a part of our commitment, we ask that you use DawgCheck to:
- Check your current health condition and report exposure daily using this link!
- Should you test positively for Covid-19, you are required to report the test results here.
- You will receive these prompts via email. You may enroll in text/SMS messages for these alerts by registering here.
- If you have questions or require more information, please visit dawgcheck.uga.edu.
Aurora at UGA is a nonprofit service organization that serves to bring back the joys of childhood to children with cancer and their siblings through year-round programs designed to provide happiness to them during challenging times. We are currently expanding our membership and are looking for passionate individuals interested in making a difference in the lives of these kids!
Some activities we do to spread joy to cancer children include...
- Volunteering at 'Fun Days' (We get together with our Aurora families and take the kids on fun outings to trampoline parks, corn mazes, the movies, pumpkin patches, etc.)
- Virtual game & scavenger hunt nights
- Creating fun goody bags to be distributed to children in the hospitals
- Writing letters to children with cancer
- Fundraising through creative, engaging events
If you are interested in learning more about Aurora or joining our service organization, please feel free to attend our interest meeting, email email@example.com, visit our involvement network page, or join our GroupMe! The official registration form is located below.
Interest Meeting: January 28th @ 7:00 PM (see involvement network for Zoom link)
GroupMe Link: https://groupme.com/join_group/65176003/SMylYnvu
Official Registration Form: https://forms.gle/UfmDaG3YEShNdag49
Apply to the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program!
Are you interested, but have questions? Wondering how this applies to your major or degree program? Join an upcoming virtual info session! A former Legislative Aide will attend to answer your questions. Check out former Aide experiences here.
Thursday, January 21st from 4:00-4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, January 26th from 5:00-5:30 p.m.
The program is a full-time spring semester fellowship experience in Atlanta at the Capitol. Fellows are paired with a local Athens area legislator. The program is experiential learning approved, comes with a $4,000 stipend, and integrates career and leadership development. We are accepting applications for 2021, 2022, and 2023. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program website to learn more. Register here by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, January 20, 2021.
The University of Georgia's oldest study abroad program has been operating in the medieval Tuscan hill town of Cortona, Italy for more than 50 years. UGA Cortona offers an extensive list of studio art and art history courses, as well as classes in Italian, English, Women's Studies, Science, Business, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, Graphic Design, and Agriculture. Earn UGA credit while living in Tuscany and traveling with the program to Italian cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Naples, Orvieto, Assisi, and many more!
As a FACS major, you have access to exclusive FACS scholarships. Scholarships are gift aid, meaning you do not have to repay them. Visit the FACS Scholarship Page for more information and to apply!
New to FACS? View the FACS Connection Archives for past newsletters!
Items for FACS Connection should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Instructions on formatting a FACS Connection entry can be found here.