The global fashion market was valued at a massive $1.5 trillion in 2021 and is expected to reach $495 billion by 2023 in the United States. With the Fashion Merchandising major, you may choose either Fashion Brand Management (FBM) or Product Design & Development (PDD) as your emphasis. Our program prepares you to be the next leader in the fashion industry through hands-on and real-life focused education, as well as studying abroad in New York City, London, Italy, Ghana, and Peru.
What You'll Do
- Intern with fashion companies
- Meet corporate executives
- Talk with fashion designers
- Study abroad
- Participate in a student-run business
Fashion Brand Management
The Fashion Brand Management (FBM) emphasis provides expertise in both the creative and analytical aspects of the fashion business. With specialized courses in FBM curriculum, students will learn the knowledge and skills necessary in fashion business management.
The curriculum give emphasis on:
- Fashion Product and Brand Management
- Trend Analysis and Forecasting
- Product Development
- Fashion Promotion and Visual Merchandising
- Retail Buying and Planning
- Global Sourcing
- Global Retailing
The Product Development and Design emphasis takes creative students and gives them the tools to succeed in apparel and textile careers. Courses give emphasis on
- Product development
- Apparel and surface design processes
- Computer-aided design
- Apparel line development
- Digital presentations and portfolio
- Technical spec sheets
The program is endorsed by the American Apparel and Footwear Association/YMA and the department is a member of the National Retail Federation. Both professional organizations provide scholarship competition opportunities for students majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Product Development and Design.
The Georgia Soft Goods Education Foundation, a group of industry professionals governed by a membership board, provide valuable input to curriculum, equipment and instructional support as well as funding for student internships and study abroad.
Join a student group so you can network with industrial professionals, develop skills in fashion show production, design, and fashion magazine production.
Want your own clothing line?
Supplement your Fashion Merchandising degree with an Entrepreneurship Certificate so you can successfully run your own business.
Think you can't get a job with Fashion Merchandising or that this isn't a serious major? Read our response.
Students in the Digital Design class designed original graphic artwork that they sublimated in the Maker's Space.
- Fashion merchandising students chronicle Cortona trip 2 months ago
- ER physician turns to fashion merchandising students for problem-solving 3 months ago
- Learning from fashion history one year ago
- Virtual reality takes students into classroom of the future one year ago
- FACS scientists find eco-friendly way to dye blue jeans one year ago